Monday, November 9, 2020

The Creature's Poem (Frankenstein)

 The first sight I saw when I opened my eyes

was the face of my creator.

Excited to greet him, I began to rise

but upon seeing his face, I froze.


He screamed and ran away

and foolishly thinking it was a mistake, I followed.

But when I caught up, his horror-filled face kept me at bay;

upon realizing I was the cause, my heart hollowed.


Grabbing some clothing, I ran from the house in shame.

I found beauty in the world that surrounded me,

but the loneliness in my heart even the Nightingale's chirp could not tame.

 So I set in search for a place I would not have to flee.


Pity me though, because my misfortune I could not seem to rid.

I came upon a village and thought I'd found my salvation,

but they threw stones at me until I ran and hid

at a cottage that for the next year was my station.


Next to me was a family of three:

a son, a daughter, and a blind old man.

Over the next year it is from them that I was able to see

the complex range human emotions span.


I secretly learned the meaning of the things they spoke.

More importantly though,

I learned how much different I am from these folk;

It was following this realization that my loneliness once again began to grow.


Alas! I still tried to be worthy of their love.

For their friendship I tried to plea,

but what would they understand? Their creator watched them from above

while mine sickened at the sight of me.


It was then that I made up my mind.

I will too have a companion with whom I can enjoy my day!

I am a monster of your design

and until you atone for this, you and your loved ones will pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment